In 1922 the first Bishop of Galle acquired a vast area of land on the outskirts of Ratnapura town and sought help to establish an institution to help the sick and needy. Answering his call, four foreign nuns arrived and ‘The Sisters of Charity’ was formed. Extracts taken from the diaries of the nuns revealed the difficulties they encountered during this most arduous time prior to the building of the Convent.
In 1924 under the leadership of Rev. Mother Tiburce the school was opened. The first students to be enrolled were 30 girls and 39 children transferred from St. Aloysius’ College They operated as an English medium school up to 1945, and then changed over as a Sinhala medium school. The discipline and educational quality of this school attracted many students to the school till the government take-over in 1960.
At present the school is categorized as a 1AB school and has a population with more than 1300 students including Tamil medium from grade six. Nearly hundred experienced staff is attached to the school and it is headed by the present principal Mrs. P.G Sandhya Priyadarshani, after the transfer of former Principal Aruna Lal Gunarathna
The following extracts taken from the souvenir published by the Reverend Sisters SCJM on the occasion of the Diamond Jubilee of the school give in vivid detail the whole history of the school upto 1999. Readmore..