In 1922 the first Bishop of Galle acquired a vast area of land on the outskirts of Ratnapura town and sought help to establish an institution to help the sick and needy. Answering his call, four foreign nuns arrived and ‘The Sisters of Charity’ was formed. Extracts taken from the diaries of the nuns revealed the difficulties they encountered during this most arduous time prior to the building of the Convent.
Past Pupils Association
The Colombo Branch of the Past Pupils Association of the Convent of the Child Jesus, Ratnapura, was inaugurated on the 02nd of November 1996 by the late Sr. Margaret Mary at the Provincialate 15, Don Carolis Rd., Colombo 05. Perhaps she envisaged that a PPA in Colombo would be able to gather more members and thus be able to establish stronger ties with the school which would result in strengthening it’s already laid foundation.
The School Management is headed by the Principal of the School. The Vice Principal of the Upper School and the Head Mistress of the Primary School assist the Principal in the Management of the School
The Principal of the School is assisted by the School Development Society and the Past Pupils Association in all her efforts in uplifting the Standard of the school. Mrs. P.G Sandhya Priyadarshani was appointed as the Principal, after the transfer of former Principal Aruna Lal Gunarathna.
Looking into the progress that has been made in the performances of students during the year under review, high levels of achievement have been made at the Grade 5 Scholarship examination, G.C.E. O/L Examination and G.C.E. A/L Examination….
Montessori – for boys and girls from the age of 2 ½ to 5
Primary Section – Grade 1 to Grade 5, where the medium of instruction is Sinhala & Tamil. English is given special attention.
Middle School – From Grade 6 – Grade 11 the school have all the 3 mediums (Sinhala, Tamil & English) according to the Government Educational Curriculum